For First time visitors...

WELCOME!!

This blog serves to document my sightings of fauna/flora in Singapore!! And by doing so, I hope that the reader would realise that there are still pockets of natures even though most of Singapore is urbanised. Also, more importantly, knowing what we have could be the first step to protecting them. :)

CONSERVATION starts right here at home!!!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pulau Hantu 10May 09 Abt 5-7.30am

I went to Pulau Hantu today. The tides werent very low but we saw many things. I was intially quite stressed out about walking on the soft substrate as I sank in a couple of times. Stirring up the stilt was also another problem, so today's phototaking was not good. I really need to improve!!! Even so, it was a fun experience and I learned a little more on which substrates to walk on. :)

Kok sheng and Geraldine venture very far out and saw several nudibranches and Spider Conch and sea urchin!!! Really cool! Was rather disappointed to see them only through Geraldine's photos. Well, maybe next time!!

To me, the corals at Pulau Hantu are definitely much more than anywhere else I've been. Specially, soft corals (which I spotted several)

Zebra Coral (Oulastrea crispata).
Photobucket

Goniopora? I'm not too sure about the coral species.
*UPDATE: Kok Sheng confirms that it is Goniopora.
Photobucket

Zoom in and this is what I saw.
Photobucket

Phymathus sp. anemone
Photobucket

Giant Anemone. Really pretty.
Photobucket

Sea mat zoanthid (Palythoa tuberculosa). Another first sighting of an interesting anemone.
*UPDATE: oops!! made a mistake. Zoanthid are NOT ANEMONE, they belong to a separate group (Order Zoanthidea)
Photobucket

Leathery Coral? It is really really huge!!!
Photobucket

Was also looking for clownfish. Found one in distress. We released it after taking photos though.
Photobucket

I've also seen several types of seaweeds for the first time.

Round seagrapes (Caulerpa lentillifera). Really looks like grapes!! Looking at it does make me HUNGRY!!! :P Well, in fact, there are edible. People from Philippines actually consume these seaweeds. However, that doesnt mean you could go round eating them. Some Caulerpa species are produce toxins.
Photobucket

There were another 2 types which I'm not sure of their species name.
*UPDATE: This one is Serrated green seaweed (Caulerpa serrulata)
(see http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/plants/seaweed/chlorophyta/serrulata.htm)

Photobucket

*UPDATE: Sponge Green seaweed (Codium sp.)
(See http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/plants/seaweed/chlorophyta/codium.htm)

Photobucket

Fungus??? Meilin says it's bryozoan... but my usual idea of a bryozoan doesnt look like this... hahaa. well, probably should trust the expert's view.
*UPDATE: These are Green gum drops ascidians.
(See http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/ascidiacea/greengumdrop.htm)

Photobucket

Fan worms (Family Sabellidae). They come in all types of colours. However, very sensitive to movement/light. Hence, I had to creep up slowly so that they wouldnt retract their pretty "feathers"
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Black Lipped Conch (Strombus urceus). My first sighting!! It is listed as an "vulnerable" creature in the Red list of threatened animals of Singapore. Mei Lin says that they are really strong and do a leapping motion to move and to pull themselves upright. Their eyes were rather developed and bright too!!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Brittle Stars (Subclass Ophiuroidea). They are really abundant in Hantu. Tons of them hiding in sponges!! I wonder if there might be a symbiotic relationship with the sponges.
Photobucket

Feather Stars (Order Comatulida). I found 2 different colours - Red and Black. I like the red better though. :P
Photobucket

Photobucket

I've managed to capture the crab in aggression mode. Didnt know that until I was talking to Mei Lin. I learnt something new today!! :)
Photobucket

Persian carpet flatworm (Pseudobiceros bedfordi). Really pretty flatworm. My first sighting of a flatworm during intertidal walks. Please Pardon the poor photography.
Photobucket

Photobucket

The 2 good finds for the trip are these.

Spotted tail frogfish. I havent even seen it underwater before, so this sighting is really memorable for me.
Photobucket

OCTOPUS!!! Mei lin said that It's already amazing to see its tentacles... The octopus was squirting out water. I wonder if it's a form of defense.
*UPDATE: They squirt water out probably to recirculate the water when they are out of water.
Photobucket

Finally, Mei lin and I saw the mosaic reef crab. It's my 2nd sighting of this crab. Due to my poor photography skills and me kicking up the stilt, I couldnt get a good photo of it. :( But the amazing this is that I caught the crab having its meal again!!! This time is Kok Sheng's favourite animal - The seastar!! :)
Photobucket

Beautiful view of Pulau Hantu
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Another great post with so many interesting sightings! I didn't see any flatworms or feather stars on our trip. And of course, the crab snacking encounters are truly special! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Janette! Glad that you're on board with us now... tee hee... Continue to share more with everyone... =)

    ReplyDelete